Monday, June 22, 2009

Have your Cake and Eat it Too!



Hey Sports Fans, I think today's lesson is on Gluttony, Family, and... Birthdays!

Well, so yesterday, June 21st, was my Birthday. As well as Fathers Day. It was a little strange, because I spent 12 hours Saturday driving 2 of my 4 kids to Awana Scholarship Camp (you can call it Honors Camp, but it will ALWAYS be Awana Scholarship Camp to me. :P )

Anyway, after 12 hours of driving I was pretty wiped. Spent Sunday Morning at church working with the Cafe56 5th and 6th grade kids, then stopped by McD's on the way home.



I was wiped from the drive still, and the full meal, so I crashed for several hours.

The family got me up to go out to dinner and shopping for a present for me, since it was Fathers Day and my Birthday.


I was still full from lunch, but we stopped in at Steak and Shake, one of my favorite places to eat. After a meal and a shake, I was just about too stuffed to leave.

Then my wife Becca asked if I wanted to stop by Baskin Robins for a birthday cake, one of those IceCream cakes.


Oh no. I couldn't possibly eat even a wafer-thin mint. I said, "Honey, I don't want a cake. I couldn't eat anything right now. Half the kids are at camp. Can't we do without a cake this year?"

"Fine by me, I guess, but Johnny's not going to let you get away without a cake."

"What's the little man gonna do about it is what I wanna know..." I mean, it wasn't like he could bake a cake.

So, anyway, I brought the family home, and staggered up to the recording studio to work on a song I'd just written, while the family watched some Scooby Doo downstairs.

They called me down about an hour later. It appeared that Johnny had made me a cake, mostly by himself. Here's a picture of it...



Well, ok, after we'd blown the candles out, and started slicing it up. Seems Johnny asked for 2 slices of white bread and a can of frosting, and made a cake all by himself. Mom got out some food coloring and decorated the thing. :-)



And here's a picture of the little guy by his piece. He was quite proud of his work. As well he should be. For a 4yo, he did smashingly.

Guess what, he wrapped me a present too. Here is my 19yo daughter Elizabeth handing it to me.


It was, surprise! A can of Sprite!


All in all, a wonderful day, just wish I hadn't URP eaten quite so much. I'm already fighting the Battle of the Bulge, and not doing so well this skirmish.

But, I gotta say, Johnny's cake was JUST enough, and wasn't bad tasting. We all got a taste, and then it was all gone!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, that's priceless! White bread and frosting. Yep, sounds like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny! How very sweet of your little guy!

    Not sure how I missed this post the first go-round....oh, wait, that would be when I had no internet. That's why....well, fun catching up. Happy Very Belated Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete